4th European Alcohol Policy Conference 21 – 22 June 2010, Brussels
The conference location, in the heart of the European Union, provided a unique opportunity to involve a wider audience and engage in dialogue with policy makers at the European level.
Under the heading “From Capacity to Action”, the conference sought to stimulate action in alcohol policy. And to that end, brought together highly reputed experts in the alcohol field and policy makers from the national, EU and global levels to analyse why Europe has not got to grips with alcohol and the consequences this is having in third countries.
The conference was organized by Eurocare (European Alcohol Policy Alliance) under the patronage of Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid of Belgium and it is co-financed by the European Commission and co-sponsored by the WHO (World Health Organization).
Over 270 people from 30 different countries attended the conference (list of participants).
- The new Director General for Health and Consumers, Paola Testori Coggi (European Commission)
- Dr Christiaan Decoster, from the Incoming Belgian Presidency of the EU
- Representatives from the Ministries of Belgium, France, Poland, Estonia, Sweden, Italy, Portugal, Finland, Slovenia, Portugal, Scotland.
- Representatives from the relevant Directorate General of the European Commission: Health and Consumers, Transport, Trade, Media.
- Reputed experts from the Alcohol field; Gerald Hastings, Peter Anderson, Ian Gilmore, Witold Zatonski, Reiner Hanewinkel, Gerard Dubois, Kshithij Urs.
- The World Health Organisation was represented by Vladimir Poznyak Coordinator of the Management of Substance Abuse Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse (WHO, Geneva) and José María Martin-Moreno, Senior Strategic Adviser (WHO, Europe).