Turkish Green Crescent Society (Türkiye Yeşilay Cemiyeti)
Turkish Green Crescent Society was founded in Istanbul on March 5, 1920. It works for the protection of society and particularly of young people from tobacco, alcohol, drugs, gambling and technology addictions. Turkish Green Crescent Society is a nongovernmental and nonprofit association and was granted the status of “Public Beneficial Society” in accordance with the decision of the Council of Ministers dated September 19, 1934.
Turkish Green Crescent Society has 40 branches and 101 representative agencies in Turkey.
Turkish Green Crescent Society leads the Country Green Crescents of Palestine, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Malaysia, Thailand, Lebanon and Montenegro.
Turkish Green Crescent Society is an Organization in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of United Nations since 2013.
Turkish Green Crescent Society has “EFQM Committed to Excellence” certificate of the European Foundation for Quality Management.
Objectives and Aims
Turkish Green Crescent Society is a nongovernmental organization that, on the premise of human honour and respect, endeavors to protect society and youth from harmful habits without discrimination. Guided by national and moral values, and using scientific methods, the Green Crescent struggles against tobacco, alcohol, drug, technology, gambling and other addictions by engaging in preventive and rehabilitative public health, and advocacy work.
The Green Crescent is an independent, non-profit and non-governmental organization that acts according to rules of the Ministry of Interior Department of Associations. The General Assembly of the Green Crescent is the highest and most authoritative decision-making body of the Association. The members of the Executive Board and the President are elected triennially by the delegates in the Assembly. The delegates of the General Assembly are elected by the branches and the headquarters of the Green Crescent from among the Green Crescent members. The General Executive Board is composed of thirteen administrative board members and seven auditing members. The Green Crescent Branches have their own General Assemblies and Executive Boards. The Headquarters and Branches are governed according to rules of the Green Crescent Constitution.
- In fighting against addictions, carries out research, developing and implementing projects and activities by using scientific and evidence-based methods.
- Establishes a documentation center by promoting scientific and academic studies; publishes newspapers, journals, books and bulletins by means of Green Crescent Publications.
- Aims to reach all parts of society by expanding organizational activities inside and outside of the country and by strengthening its member and volunteer network.
- Sees the media, internet and social media as viable means through which to fight against addictions and works hard for disseminating messages to all regions through the effective use of all channels of communication with society.
- Establishes Green Crescent Clubs at primary and secondary schools, high schools and universities, becoming a widespread presence in educational institutions; creates Green Crescent consciousness and awareness in children and youth.
- Prepares syllabi for formal and informal education institutions, works in cooperation with public institutions and organizations, organizes face-to-face and distance education content and is actively involved in education’s role in the fight against addictions.
- Cooperates with national and international organizations that support the Green Crescent mission and activities. Leads the establishment of international Green Crescent branches abroad.
- Leads the formation of international umbrella organizations in support of international efforts in the global fight against addiction.
- Works to increase social awareness by doing advocacy activities for the strengthening of legislation related addiction.
- Works to increase social awareness about addiction through social, cultural and athletic activities.
- Carries out shared projects and activities with public institutions and organizations. Participates as an active member in national and international associations, umbrella organizations and federations; develops effective cooperation with all partners in the fields of addiction research, prevention, and advocacy.
Articles and Publications
- Documents of Addiction Training Program of Turkey: http://www.yesilay.org.tr/tr/tbmturkiye.html
- Green Crescent Journal: http://www.yesilay.org.tr/en/documents/greencrescentjournal.html
- ADDICTA The Turkish Journal on Addictions: http://addicta.yesilay.org.tr/
- Green Crescent Publishing: http://www.yesilay.org.tr/en/documents/publishing.html